Wednesday, May 25, 2022

In Paradisum My Friend

 I begin my latest blog with a tribute to a friend. I am just home from her Funeral Mass where the choir sang not one song that is usually sung on such occasions. My friend chose the music herself, and we sang some beautiful pieces.

In that beauty, I am reminded of my friend's constant display of Christian love. It was always there. My friend always presented herself as being put together and happy with her lot in life, at least until she was diagnosed with the disease that took her from us on Earth.

The day we, the choir, went to see her to essentially say goodbye, only her left hand worked. It was a result of the ALS that slowly stole her ability to do God's work as she did with the St. Louis Crisis Nursery. Her Rosary was on the tray table before her, and even lying in a hospital bed, she exuded what it means to be a Christian in love. 

The last two weeks Christian love has come up over and over in my life. First, the fifth Sunday of Easter gave us the Gospel:

JOHN 13:31-33, 34-35

31When he had gone out, Jesus said, "Now is the Son of man glorified, and in him God is glorified; 32if God is glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself, and glorify him at once. 33Little children, yet a little while I am with you. You will seek me; and as I said to the Jews so now I say to you, `Where I am going you cannot come.' 34A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

They will know we are Christians by our love. One priest said that his class at the Seminary was not allowed to sing a song by that title until it was really true.

The question, though, is what is Christian love? A conversation with another friend on that very topic has me singing this over and over, as I was reminded of it over the weekend.


Real Christian love isn't just about the litany St. Paul spells out in his first epistle to the Corinthians. It's about living the commands of God, or as Father Heilman of the U.S. Grace Force puts it: O.I.L Obedience in love.

St. Ignatius of Loyola said, “It is not hard to obey when we love the one whom we obey.”

So, Christian love is all about doing for others out of love for God. That is what my friend did, and that is why her life was such a shining example of true Christian love. 

Requiescat in pace, my friend, and may angels sing thee to thy rest.




No comments:

Post a Comment

U.S. Grace Force Podcast Worth The Time

 Our culture is full of a lot that is not real. That includes the cult of celebrity. In this U.S. Grace Force Podcast, Father Rich and Dave ...